Camping is undeniably one of the best ways to escape the chaos of life and put yourself in the lap of nature for some time. In that case, some of the best camping places in India can help you reconnect with nature and relieve yourself from stress. Countless studies have proved that camping in the nature can have a therapeutic effect on the body. The positive impact isn’t only limited to the physical body and the mental and spiritual self.
So, we guess you already know how beneficial it is for you to reconnect with nature. However, you need to pay special attention to the camping sites you wish to visit to get the best out of your adventure. In that case, we have saved you the trouble by filtering out the best camping places for couples and friends in 2022.
1. Solang Valley Camping, Himachal Pradesh
- Location: Solang Valley, Manali
- Altitude: 8500 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Bluesky Holidays, Western Himalayan Holidays, Misty Himalaya
If you want breathtaking views and a soothing soul-refreshing environment, Solang Valley should be a priority in your list of travel destinations. The valley attracts loads of couples from all across India every year, making it the best camping place in India.
Furthermore, to ensure maximum safety of visitors, commonly-visited areas and camps in Solang Valley are frequently sanitized. Located at the heart of the beautiful state of Himachal Pradesh, Solang Valley can provide you the best jaw-dropping views of Manali. Kheerganga camping is also exciting in the state.
You can do thrilling activities like paragliding, rock climbing, etc., to appreciate the majestic views of mountains. Being a hub for adventure lovers, Solang valley serves them right and provides one of the best adventure camping in India. However, you have to pay extra for these activities separately.
How to Reach Solang Valley Camping site?
- Land at the Bhuntar airport, which is around 50 kilometers away from Manali. Then you can either take a bus route to Solang Valley or opt for a cab to conveniently reach Solang Valley.
- Manali is one of the most visited places in India, no wonder it is well connected through many private and state-run buses. So, reaching Manali by bus should be the most convenient option for you. At the Manali bus stop, you will find countless taxis to drop you to the Solang Valley.
- You can also reach Manali by train, although the nearest railway station (Joginder Nagar Railway Station) is 160 km away from the Solang Valley.
Best Time to Visit Solang Valley Camping
The best time to visit Solang Valley is a matter of preference. If you want an ideal and comfortable temperature, visiting the place in the summer months is perfect for you. However, if you are more of a hardcore adventurer and like winter sports like skiing, the best time to visit Solang Valley is in December and January.
2. Chandratal Camping, Himachal Pradesh
- Location: Spiti Valley, Himachal Pradesh
- Altitude: 14100 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Parasol Camps, Spiti holiday adventure
Chandratal lake is often referred to as “Lake of the Moon” for a reason; the mystical lake is located at the height of 4,300m in the Lahaul and Spiti district and has a crescent shape. Visiting this place has always been a priority for trekkers from all across India. Moreover, the elegance and soul-refreshing environment of Chandratal lake has made it one of the best camping places in Northern India. The lake is also popularly known as a “trekker’s paradise,” thanks to the charismatic and splendid views of the Spiti region. If you like trekking, check the top trekking places in India and plan your next trip.
The lake is more than just a tent camping site, providing the visitors with a perfect blend of adventurous and soothing environments. The Chandratal lake campsite sprawls over an area of 2.5 km, with majestic mountains surrounding the campsite.
The specific feature because which Chandratal lake has become such a popular attraction is the beautiful coloration of its water. The lake has turquoise blue clean water seeing which is a pleasure to the eyes and soul. The scene is so calm it can reboot you from the inside, making you ready to take care of upcoming challenges in life.
How to Reach Chandratal Lake Camping?
- The viable route to Chandratal lake starts from Delhi and goes through Mandi, Kullu, Rohtang La, Batal, and Gramphoo. This route is called the Manali route, which is the shortest and thus the fastest way to reach Chandratal Lake. Make sure to carry a lightweight rucksack and wear a warm trekking jacket and waterproof shoes.
- If you live in the northern parts of India, the route from Shimla to Chandratal lake should be ideal for you, although it is not a direct route. Board a bus from Shimla to reach Reckong Peo. From there, go to Kaza via an HRTC bus. Then, you need to board a bus for Manali and get down at the Chandratal lake diversion point. You need to cover the rest of the distance on your feet; talk about a warmup hike!
Best Time to Visit Chandratal Camping
The best time to visit Chandratal lake is during the summer months. The area experiences heavy snowfall during the winter season, which blocks the entire way to get to the lake. Therefore, it is not considered ideal for planning your trip during the winter season. The snow clearance operation gets completed in June; we advise you to plan your trip at that time.
3. Pangong lake Camping, Ladakh
- Location: Pangong lake, Spangmik, Ladakh
- Altitude: 13861 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Camp Redstart, Camp Whispering Waves, Pangong Retreat, Nature’s Nest Camp
If Ladakh was always on your list of travel destinations, starting your journey with Pangong lake camping is the best thing you can do. Spending time at a comfortable camp in the middle of a desert surrounded by majestic mountains is all you need for a soul-refreshing experience. Use a DSLR/Mirrorless camera or an action camera to capture the beautiful moments near Pangong lake,
Camp Redstart is located near the bank of Pangong lake, which makes the camping experience even better. You will be provided with clean, warm, and comfortable beds along with state-of-the-art facilities for daily use. The campsite also provides you with extra luxurious tents upon request, although at a significantly higher cost. Overall, Pangong lake camping packs much more excitement than what meets the eye, thanks to the jaw-dropping trails surrounding the campsite. The pricing for a good camp near Pangong lake starts from 4500 Rs per adult, although it varies.
How to Reach Pangong lake Camping?
The campsite is easily accessible via a private vehicle. For reference, the Spangmik village is located at a distance of roughly 154 km from Leh. You can only reach the campsite in your personal car as there are not many public routes available.
Best Time to Visit Pangong lake Camping
September to November is considered the ideal time to visit Camp Redstart in Ladakh primarily because of the pleasant temperature. This time is also ideal for stargazing while you camp.
4. Dawki River Camping, Meghalaya
- Location: Dawki Island, Meghalaya
- Altitude: 1122 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Encamp Adventures, Marvel’s Camps & Treks
Dawki river tent camping in Meghalaya is a true paradise for all nature lovers. Sitting cozily in the lap of mother nature, the campsite is surrounded by lush greenery, which is always an ideal nature treat. Furthermore, the particular feature that attracts the visitors is the river beside the campsite. It is located at the side of the cleanest river of India- The Umngot River. The flow of this clean river is captivating enough to hook you for hours. You can also get engaged in some local activities for an adrenaline rush. Dawki is undoubtedly one of the best camping sites in India, suitable for everyone over ten years of age.
How to Reach Dawki river camping?
- The campsite is accessible utilizing various public and private transport. By air, you have to land at the nearest airport Bordoloi International Airport located in Guwahati. The airport is at a distance of 195 km from Dawki Island.
- The nearest railway station to the campsite is the Guwahati railway station, located 173 km away. You will need to travel the rest of the distance by road.
Best Time to Visit Dawki River Camping
The months from October to February are ideal for camping at this place. The temperature at this time is suitable for all travelers from different parts of India. Also, at this time, the water of the Umngot river stays crystal clear with a pleasant weather around.
5. Pawna Lake Camping, Maharashtra
- Location: Kamshet, Maharashtra
- Altitude: 1991 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Kingberry Pawna Lake Camping, Thrillophilia
Pawna lake in Maharashtra ranks amongst the best camping places for couples. A lush green landscape surrounded by the mesmerizing valleys of the western ghats beautifully describes the elegance of Pawna lake. The campsite is well-facilitated with everything that can enhance your camping experience.
Moreover, the lake is surrounded by the mystical grace of various tourist attractions, including the Lohagad Fort, Tikona Fort, Tung Fort, and Visapur Fort. All of this, combined with the ambiance of the Pawna lake itself, make the campsite ideal for a fantastic weekend adventure.
Besides the soul-refreshing experience Pawna lake packs, the campsite also provides you with delicious meals such as BBQ. The Pawna lake camping package also offers unlimited dinner under the starry sky to satisfy your belly and your soul simultaneously. After dinner, you can engage in activities like a bonfire to make your weekend experience much more memorable. In the day time, it would be great to visit the nearby Lohagad fort or trek to the Tikona fort.
How to Reach Pawna Lake Camping site?
- You can reach Pawna lake by train. Get down at Kamshet railway station, which is around 22 km away from the Pawna lake. You can then hire an exclusive jeep for reaching Pawna lake.
- Various bus routes connect the beautiful city of Lonavala. Just board a private bus and get the Lonavala bus stand, post which you can hire a private cab to reach Pawna lake conveniently.
Best Time to Visit Pawna lake camping
The best time to visit Pawna lake is during the monsoon season. The camps in the monsoon season are in a hut form instead of tents. These huts can accommodate a maximum of 5 people at a time. Besides, the scene gets much more beautiful and soothing in the monsoon season, making the place a true getaway from the routine hassle.
6. Royal Desert Camp, Rajasthan
- Location: Jaisalmer, Rajasthan
- Altitude: 738 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Royal Desert Camping, Desert Safari Camp Jaisalmer, Amush Desert Camp, etc.
The name itself, “Royal desert camp,” reasonably justifies what you can expect from this camp. The camp is situated right next to the majestic Sam Sand Dunes of the beautiful city of Jaisalmer. It is the most sought-after desert camping place in India.
The campsite offers luxurious camps which accurately depict the royalty of Rajasthan and its rulers. Packing a truly traditional experience, the Royal desert camp in Jaisalmer is a treat for those who love Indian culture. While the campsite may sound too conventional and old-fashioned to you, we assure you, it is not. It is also a paradise for adventure lovers who seek thrilling activities.
The campsite provides you with activities like tent camping, quad biking, desert biking, and dune bashing to give you that boost of adrenaline you so much desire. Enjoy the Rajasthani cultural and folk program with your partner or your friends; the Royal desert camp in Jaisalmer equally serves all kinds of visitors. This blend of traditional-style camping and adventurous activities makes the place suitable for all types of travelers.
How to Reach Royal Desert Camp?
- You can land at the Jaisalmer airport located at a distance of around 55 km from the campsite. Lucky for you, the camp provides a shuttle service that will conveniently take you from the Jaisalmer airport to the campsite. Alternatively, you can hire a cab at the airport to reach the destination.
- Jaisalmer is well-connected through many buses running through various routes. Get down at the Jaisalmer bus stand and make your way to the campsite via the convenient shuttle service the camping place provides. However, make sure to book the shuttle service in advance.
- You can also conveniently reach the campsite by train. The nearest railway station is the Jaisalmer railway station, from which you can easily make your way to the campsite by hiring a cab.
Best Time to Visit Royal Desert Camp
The best time to go camping in Jaisalmer is from November to March. The temperature around that time becomes pleasant; engaging in outdoor activities like desert biking is comfortable at this temperature. Furthermore, Rajasthan is infamous for its sweltering summers and you don’t want yourself to get stuck in the desert during those days.
7. Sonmarg Paradise Camping Resort, Kashmir
- Location: Sonmarg, Kashmir
- Altitude: 8957 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Sonmarg paradise camping, Mountain Greens Camping, Paradise Camping Resort
The Sonmarg paradise camping resort is ideal for you if you want a conveniently located hotel in Sonmarg. The camping place is known for the extraordinary facilities and unreal comfort that it provides its visitors with. Surrounded by majestic mountains and featuring facilities like doctor on call, travel desk, and clean parking, Paradise tent camping resort truly is, in every sense, no less than a true paradise.
The campsite is surrounded by various tourist attractions such as Thajiwas Glacier, Zojila Pass, and Gangabal lake to visit for a soul-refreshing experience. To pamper your appetite, the campsite houses a restaurant that serves deliciousness the likes of which you have never experienced before.
To make your experience even more luxurious, the hotel provides you with additional guide service, laundry, and sightseeing at an additional but reasonable cost. The Sonmarg paradise camping resort undeniably is one of the best camping places in India. We advise you not to go to Sonmarg Paradise camping resort as an unmarried couple as it is officially not allowed.
How to Reach Sonmarg Paradise Camping Resort?
- You can easily access Paradise camping resort through the airport transfer service that the hotel provides. Just book an airport transfer in advance, and the hotel facility will pick you up from the airport at an additional cost of approximately Rs. 2000.
- If you wish to reach the hotel by car, you can avail the car parking facility of the hotel. The Sonmarg Paradise camping resort can even arrange private transportation upon request.
Best Time to Visit Sonmarg Paradise Camping Resort
The Sonmarg paradise camping resort has all the facilities to make your experience comfortable at any time of the year. However, the ideal time to visit the resort is during the spring season.
8. Rishikesh Riverside Camping, Uttarakhand
- Location: Phool Chatti, Neelkanth Temple Road, Rishikesh
- Altitude: 1115 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Margo Trip, Bharat Himalayas
Rishikesh can be called a paradise for all the adventure-seekers out there. Rishikesh riverside camping can take your camping experience to a whole new level. From rafting to soul-refreshing bonfires, Rishikesh riverside tent camping packs everything to satisfy your needs. Also, check the camping guidelines by the Uttarakhand Govt.
The best part is that the camping site, ideal for adventure camping in India, is located just about 150m from Ganga beach. Such a perfect blend of adrenaline rush and spiritual calmness is rare to find in most of the camping places in India.
The campsite offers multiple indoor and outdoor games to keep boredom at bay. Nestled at the heart of verdant green valleys, the location of the campsite is ideal for nature-lovers. Furthermore, you can explore the nearby trails to have a good time with nature. The spectacular views of mountains near the campsite are something you will never forget even if you get the slightest glimpse of that scenery.
How to Reach Rishikesh Riverside Camping site?
- The ideal way to reach the campsite is by air as the Jolly Grant Airport (Dehradun) is located 30 km away from the campsite. Hire a cab from the airport to reach the campsite at the earliest.
- Opt for a state-run or a private bus to reach the Rishikesh bus stand located 13 km away from the campsite. You can then hire a cab to reach the final destination conveniently.
- If you decide to go Rishikesh riverside camping by train, your only option is to get down to the Haridwar railway station located around 39 km from the site. Hire a taxi or a shared vehicle to reach the campsite finally.
Best Time to Visit Rishikesh Riverside Camping
Although the winter and spring seasons are ideal for an excellent visit to Rishikesh, the place is so good that it remains an attraction throughout the year. It is too much heat during Summer can ruin your experience. It is advised to experience Rishikesh riverside camping between October to March. Use a drone camera to shoot such a beautiful video of Rishikesh-
9. Nature Camping in Coorg, Karnataka
- Location: Coorg, Karnataka
- Altitude: 4000 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Coorg Camping- Jollyboys, Balyabane Camping, Adventure Park
Seeking soul-refreshing calmness in the lap of nature?
Spending the weekend at a nature camp in Coorg should be an ideal choice for you. The campsite is nestled in the dense jungle and Brahmagiri mountain range, making it one of the best camping places in South India. Over the years, the camping places have managed to steadily increase the number of yearly visitors, thanks to the active management of the campsites. Your stay at the campsite will be comfortable and spacious as you will be provided with mattresses, pillows, sleeping bags, and blankets along with your tents.
Even a quick stroll near the campsite is enough to rejuvenate your body from stress, refreshing your soul to prepare for the tasks at hand. Coorg nature camps also offer multiple indoor and outdoor games, including carrom, tennis, volleyball, etc., to keep you engaged.
Furthermore, the campsite is just kilometers away from mystical attractions such as Abbey Falls, Bylakuppe Monastery, and Iruppu Waterfalls. You can visit these places to make your visit much more worthwhile.
How to reach nature camping at Coorg?
The only way to reach the campsite is by your private vehicle. It is located around 270 km from Bangalore city; reaching Coorg from there can be tedious for the majority.
Best Time to Visit Coorg Nature Camps
The temperature at Coorg stays around 15-20 degrees Celsius throughout the year, making it a year-round destination. However, visiting the campsite in March and April will be a delight as the valleys get shrouded with white flowers at that time.
10. Wayanad Adventure Camp, Kerala
- Location: Wayanad, Kerala
- Altitude: 6800 ft.
- Best Camping Operators: Avventura Wayanad, Wayanad Backpackers Tent Camping
Wayanad adventure camp is another great way to experience the true beauty of nature. Surrounded by the lush green forest, Wayanad adventure camp is sure to give you chills and an experience worth remembering. The campsite even packs fun and adrenaline-inducing activities like Rock climbing, commando net, Burma bridge, etc. You can engage in various indoor and outdoor games like Carrom, Ludo, and Badminton to keep boredom at bay.
Overall, Wayanad adventure camp is considered one of the best camping sites with beautiful greenery. The camp’s location is stunning as it is surrounded by lush greenery and majestic hills, perfectly putting you in the lap of nature. The campsite offers much more than it initially shows, all thanks to the location of the site itself.
On top of that, the campsite offers various delicacies in breakfast, lunch, and dinner, to satisfy your taste buds at no extra cost. You do not have to worry about camping stove or cookware/utensils as they operator will arrange all the foods. However, before you go, note that unmarried couples are not allowed in the camp.
How to Reach Wayanad Adventure Camp?
The ideal way to reach Wayanad adventure camp is by bus. Get down at the nearest bus stand in Kalpetta, located at a distance of 10 km from the campsite. You can then hire a private cab or any other transport to reach your destination.
Best Time to Visit Wayanad Adventure Camp
The campsite serves all kinds of visitors. While the time between December to February is ideal for honeymoon and touring, October to May serves visitors seeking wildlife journeys and photography. Wayanad Adventure Camp provides a year-round adventure.
Nothing feels better than a mind and soul-refreshing camp with friends and family. In that case, We have curated a list of the best camping places in India for you. For nature lovers, these campsites are ideal for all kinds of visitors and age groups. Just choose the camping essentials and tour operator of your liking and let them take care of the rest. We have managed to mention the most trusted and reliable tour operators for each camping place, saving you most of the hassle. Each one of these places will put you in the lap of mother nature, intensely refreshing your body and your spirit. After all, sometimes, all you need is a bit of spiritual refreshment to get ready to face your life challenges headstrong.